1300 Whaley Street Columbia SC
January 15, 2017
BETH SHALOM CEMETERY
In 1883 members of Columbia’s Jewish community founded the Hebrew Cemetery Society of Columbia as an alternative to the Hebrew Benevolent Society’s cemetery, which had been established in 1822. The organization purchased a 4-acre tract bounded by Indigo (Whaley), Lower (Heyward), Marion, and Sumter streets as a free cemetery for Hebrew burials. In 1896 the Society sold 3 acres to W.B. Smith Whaley for textile mill development.
(continued on next side)
By 1911 the Society deeded cemetery oversight to the Beth Shalom (House of Peace) synagogue. Early burials included Orthodox Jews from Columbia and elsewhere. This site later became identified as a place specifically for synagogue members. As the Univ. of S.C. expanded in the 1960s it grew around the cemetery. Jewish migration into Forest Acres and fewer available plots here led to the creation of Arcadia Lakes Cemetery in 1995.
To view Dedication, Click Here
Sponsored by Historic Columbia, Columbia Jewish Heritage Initiative,
and Jewish Historical Society of South Carolina, 2016
Location: 1300 block of Whaley Street, Columbia, SC