CONTACT US

DONATE

Adath Yeshurun Historical Marker Dedication

November 16, 2014
Aiken, SC

Front of Historical Marker
Adath Yeshurun Synagogue
Aiken’s permanent Jewish community dates to 1890, when immigrants from Eastern Europe, many of the from Knyszyn, Poland, began to settle here. Adath Yeshurun Congregation (Congregation of Israel) held its first services in private homes or in the Masonic Temple. Several community leaders founded the Sons of Israel Cemetery on Hampton Avenue, in 1913

Back of Historical Marker
Adath Yeshurun Synagogue
The “Congregation Adas Yeshurun” was chartered in 1921 with Meyer Harris, J. S. Poliakoff, M. Poliakoff, B. M. Surasky, and Jacob Wolf representing its members. This Classical Revival synagogue was built in 1925 and has been in contiunous use since as both a place of worship and a Jewish community center. Members have been leaders in Aiken business, politics, and civic affairs for many years.

To learn more about the history of Aiken, Click Here.

Pictures taken by Nelson A Danish, Max B Hellman, Sharon Baumgarten Mills, Jeri Perlmutter
Jewish Historical Society of South Carolina

CONNECT

Site Map | copyright © 2017

CONTACT

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu