Temple Beth El
Camden, SC March 2004

Click on Individual Picture to Enlarge Image

Camden1
Temple Beth El Camden, SC Acquired 1921

Baruch Plaques Saved from the Scrap Heap
— based on an article in the Newsletter of the Friends of the Camden Archives and Museum, April 2001

Four bronze plaques that once hung on the walls of Camden’s first hospital were saved from the scrap metal heap by Harry Kline, owner of Camden Steel and Metal Company. The plaques commemorate the parents, friends, and cousin of Bernard Baruch.

Marlene Mischner, who served as associate archivist at the Camden Archives and Museum in the early 1980s, alerted Director Agnes Corbett and in December, 2000, the plaques were presented as gifts to the Archives.

Excerpts taken from JHSSC Winter 2004 Newsletter

Camden2
Jack Scheuer, M.D., Michael Mischner, Barbara James
and Harry Kline holding the rescued plaques
Camden4wa
  Camden5wa

Camden3wa

? Star of David
sculpture by local artist Allan Sindler

Mike and Marlene Mischner
Interior of Temple Beth El

Camden6
Interior of Temple Beth El